Realistic Tips for Healthy Weight Loss
Being overweight is like three or more people riding a scooter or a two wheeler
or three or four extra people are stuffed in a car. Both are going to break down
either suddenly or gradually, that's sure. As both are carrying extra weight beyond
their strength. Our knees are designed as per our height, to carry certain amount
of weight. Weight is generally increased due to overeating & sitting idle or lack
of activity. These days it's seen that people are working on computers for hours
or watching television & having their food, is also one reason behind overeating.
But lack of exercise, I feel is more responsible for being overweight. As exercise
or physical activity is the process we burn the calories we acquired from food.
But first of all you have to judge yourself & decide that you are going to fight
for it. How to do it is not difficult.
There is one very simple method to understand whether one is obese or not. Just
recollect out of memory the size of your waist line at the age of 18 or 20. If you
don't, take help of your family members. If today, it's increased by around 15%
than you can relax. Otherwise you should decide that you have to reduce that flab
as soon as possible.
There is no need to press panic button. Here are some realistic tips to loose weight
for all those interested in living happy & healthy life-long.
How to control excessive eating?
You have to carefully watch your dietary habits & eating pattern first. As crash
dieting has corrosive effect & the lost weight bounces back more ruthlessly. So
you have to carefully select the food items & might need to alter some of your habits
related to it. We should always keep in mind that we must not loose essential nutrients
while following dietary restrictions. So we will not discuss much about stop this
or that thing type of restrictions.
How to add exercise to your lifestyle?
- Be sure you are drinking lots of clean water throughout the day. This keeps the
hunger suppressed & gives the feeling of fullness. Don't remain hungry as this will
cause excessive eating at home. You can drink water if away from home or eating
joint as it suppresses hunger for some time. At the time of meals drink a glass
of water few minutes before joining the dining table. Sit comfortably & eat without
- As per Ayurvedic concepts, it suppresses "Jatharagni" (Digestive fire) & induces
indigestion & constipation. It should ideally be consumed 20 - 20 minutes after
meals for a good digestion. Not drinking water imparts a great effect on our digestive
system as it helps essential nutrients to get digested. It is proven fact that drinking
water during meals causes indigestion as it dilutes digestive juices & natural process
of digesting the food properly. So, please stop drinking water, liquids & cold drinks
with your meals or immediately after meals.
- Eat like a cow. Eating three big meals is not a good idea at least after forty.
Eat five or six small meals is better option as it helps to keep regular flow of
energy & keeps excessive hungry feeling away. Eating this way helps to maintain
blood sugar levels within limits. Eat fresh vegetables & fruits with two main meals,
with lunch & dinner to be precise. Dinner should be light as heavy will adversely
affect your sleep.
- Have fruits between main meals so that you are filled with fibers. Having fruits
10 - 15 minutes before meals is always beneficial as it delays the absorption time
& keeps you full for a longer time. Eating more fruits or vegetables is always beneficial
as it reduces caloric intake.
- Control your craving for snacks, deserts & cold drinks just before, in between or
after meals. You can have small sample quantities of these if it's irresistible,
that too in initial stage. Otherwise better you forget these. These are the most
serious threats to your weight reduction plans.
- It is a fact that we have 20% extra food always. The fact behind is that: it takes
around 20 minutes for brain to register that food is on the way. In younger days
we are not harmed as we are very active physically moreover need extra energy to
grow. Gradually reduce 10% of your dietary intake & make it 20% within 2 - 3 months.
If done slowly, you can do it definitely.
- Do try to be vegetarian, but slowly. Initially it will look difficult. Gradually
start having vegetarian diet at least 3 - 4 times a week. You should limit animal
protein consumption to control cholesterol levels to reduce possibility of landing
into trap of cardiac disorders also. To keep protein intake high, start having legumes
- peas, grams, lentils & other pulses. One more thing very simple is to avoid mixing
animal proteins with starches like breads & potatoes. I'm sure you will gradually
start relishing vegetarian delicacies.
It is also one very important part of to achieving the goal of getting in shape.
It's simpler than controlling the dietary habits. Here is how to do it gradually
& without a pinch.
One final word:
- Start walking while on a shopping spree. Leave your car at home if the market is within one kilometer or even if a mile. While in office you can walk & handover the document or message personally to your colleague, subordinate or boss.
- Use stairs instead of lift or escalator. Slowly you can add some exercise through this method.
- Brisk walking has numerous health benefits. One of them is reduction in weight apart from it being useful for joint health, cardiac health & immunity. Start walking at any point of time during the day as an when you are empty stomach since 3-4 hours. Go on tracking on weekends.
Always keep in mind a law of nature "Human body has an incredible healing ability to repair, realign & recover naturally". It only needs a chance with serious attention, which we shall give. Wellbeing is always in our hands.